Friday, June 8, 2018

A Poem We Weren’t Sure What To Name

“Kicks just keep getting harder to find,”
I can hear Mark Lindsay say
from the radio on the counter in the kitchen
you leave on for your pets all day,
tuned to the station you play in your car
so you can stay connected
even when you’re away.

From my seat on the chair
you drove North
from your grandmother’s basement
after she passed away,
I can see the black nose of
a schnoodle bob up and down
as he stops to investigate
before giving up and sauntering off
to lie down under the coffee table
in the living room
to lazily watch flecks of dust
suspended like glitter in the sunlight
and the stretching shadows
of the afternoon;
before being roused by
the barks of his brother,
each bark punctuated by
his four hopping feet,
at the sound of the mailman outside
or a truck with an empty trailer
hitting potholes in the street
which elicits irritated grumbles
from a lazy tabby trying to sleep
curled in his sun-soaked bed
his two front paws covering his head
and one back leg dangling free.

It all probably sounds
so inconsequential
but right now my world is this room.
I write what I see,
so here in my words
is a picture of a Tuesday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment